Veency iPhone VNC Server Rocks!

September 18, 2008

A new app showed up on Cydia today called Veency.

It’s a fully functional VNC Server for the iPhone and it’s bad ass! The thing works just like you would expect it to =)

This is an initial release, and they’re planning on putting in some updates, but seriously… this thing is awesome!

(Note for installing: You MUST reboot your phone after it’s installed for the service to start. Then you can connect with a VNC client. This isn’t in the file info.)

Now I can have my phone charging in the other room, and when I receive a new txt, I don’t have to get up to check my phone (or go upstairs/downstairs). I just VNC in and blam! The keyboard works for everything too!

When you establish a new connection (there’s no password), a prompt will appear on the iPhone as to if you want to accept the connection. Also, there’s no on/off toggle. Both of these are things that are planned for a future release.

The only thing that I wish would happen is a remembering of IP’s that connected. Cuz, if the phone is in the other room, and I try to establish a new connection, I have to hit the “Accept” button… which means I gotta get up and go to the phone (defeats the purpose). So I just have to establish the connection before I sit down ;)

Overall though, very cool app. Good future, and totally worth the price tag of Free =)

Here’s a screenshot from my Mac connected into my phone:

Picture 3.png

The developer also put up a video of it in action. I upped it to youtube, so I could publish it here (he had it as a MOV file…wtf?)

If you have a jailbroken iPhone, I don’t see why you wouldn’t want this!

.: Adam

Filed under: General — .: Adam @ 11:48 am
Comments (31) Share on Twitter

31 comments added, add yours! »

1. [...] recently got a tip over to this It’s Just Poison post about Veency for jailbroken iPhones from Jay “Saurik” Freeman, the author and [...]

Pingback by VNC Server for iPhone — September 18, 2008 @ 3:25 pm

2. [...] recently got a tip over to this It’s Just Poison post about Veency for jailbroken iPhones from Jay “Saurik” Freeman, the author and maintainer of Cydia. [...]

Pingback by Veency: VNC Server for iPhone | IPhone news, updates and Iphone information — September 18, 2008 @ 3:37 pm

3. Hi,

This is a amazing app. what client did you use on a Mac ? how did you connect to the iPhone after installing Veency ?

Comment by Sadmir — September 18, 2008 @ 10:22 pm

4. What Cydia source did you find Veency in? It’s not coming up on mine :(

Comment by Wolfgeek — September 18, 2008 @ 11:35 pm

5. [...] Veency is a dream come true for me. I’ve always wished I could get in and control my iPod touch on my Mac! [...]

Pingback by Using Veency with Mac OS X Leopard « RupertGee’s iBlog — September 20, 2008 @ 4:40 am

6. [...] recently got a tip over to this It’s Just Poison post about Veency for jailbroken iPhones from Jay “Saurik” Freeman, the author and [...]

Pingback by Apple iPhone App Review - Veency: VNC Server for iPhone | iFones.com Apple iPhone 3G News — September 22, 2008 @ 9:39 am

7. I user JollyFastVNC on the Mac for all my VNC needs =)

Comment by .: Adam — September 22, 2008 @ 6:28 pm

8. [...] recently got a tip over to this It’s Just Poison post about Veency for jailbroken iPhones from Jay “Saurik” Freeman, the author and [...]

Pingback by Veency: VNC Server for iPhone - The Unofficial Apple Weblog (TUAW) « Soniq.org Links Blog — September 24, 2008 @ 6:04 pm

9. This is phenomenal. Why? Because this means an external iPhone keyboard is now possible. A small external microcontroller with a keyboard can send key clicks in the iPhone’s serial port. Then, whatever interface Veency uses to send keyclicks can send them to the phone! Presumably, one could add an external mouse as well. I wonder if the source code to Veency will be released….

Comment by Forest — September 29, 2008 @ 8:48 pm

10. Trying to connect my Iphone to my Vista machine using the VNC Lite. I don’t know the DNS or port numbers. I have tried using the IP address of my computer. Is this the one I use? I have also used the default port 5900. Thanks for any help you can give me.

Sheila

Comment by Sheila — November 2, 2008 @ 9:09 am

11. Sheila,
    If you haven’t found out already, you need the IP address of your iPhone.

Go to Settings, WiFi, click on the network name, click on the white and blue arrow to the right of the network name and note the IP address.

Enter that into the Server Address in VNC Lite and connect with your iPhone.

Left click to touch the screen
    Midlle click to lock the iPhone
    Right click to select the Home/Menu button
    Use your computer keyboard to type – great for SMS messages.

Simon

Comment by Simon — November 17, 2008 @ 11:37 am

12. This is exactly the tool I need to bring my iPhone with the lower half of the screen not responding to touch back to life, the only problem is, I need to be able to click buttons on the lower half of the screen to install it…. Could someone zip up the required files from their iPhone and post them on filebeam or something, so I can use ibrickr to install it manually?

Comment by Paradox — November 25, 2008 @ 6:23 pm

13. Awesome!

I was already using my Ipod Touch as a remote control for my media center.
    Now I use my mediacenter as a remote for my iPod when it is docked with the Hifi on the other floor.
    Crazy stuff!

Next plan: I want an Ipod Touch to remote control my Ipod Touch!

Comment by Edna — January 10, 2009 @ 3:14 pm

14. Great program but on my phone it stops working after a while (latest firmware). Its happened a few times now. Once, it stopped responding in the middle of me typing a message. TightVNC viewer diesm the vnc icon next to the battery on the phone is gone and i cant reconnect :( Come one Jay, do your magic. Fix it. I’m willing to help or pay a couple of bucks :)

Comment by Vic — March 11, 2009 @ 9:24 am

15. nice! [IMG]http://rich-niche.info/cookie/img/smilies/happy.gif[/IMG]

Comment by http://rich-niche.info/cookie/img/smilies/happy.gif — March 16, 2009 @ 8:04 pm

16. Love this page, is it updated often? Bookmarked :)

Comment by Free Gadget — August 22, 2009 @ 7:31 am

17. I appriciate the program greatly and it works like a dream but I would like to suggest some addition in the next update, if the developer can add the capabilities of cut and paste from the Computer to Veency on the iphone. I use messaging quite a lot and sometimes I see an article which I would like to copy and paste and send it as a text, this saves me of re typing the text all over….I hope it can be done!!!

Comment by Sol — September 23, 2009 @ 12:33 pm

18. What is the theme on this iphone?
    Regards

Comment by Seki — April 2, 2010 @ 12:38 pm

19. [...] recently got a tip over to this It’s Just Poison post about Veency for jailbroken iPhones from Jay “Saurik” Freeman, the author and [...]

Pingback by Soniq.org Links » Veency: VNC Server for iPhone – The Unofficial Apple Weblog (TUAW) — April 15, 2010 @ 6:28 pm

20. okay so veency is enabled and i have tightvnc installed. the right i.p. address and its connecting but tightvnc will not show my itouch screen on the computer. what should i do?

Comment by david motto — May 9, 2010 @ 11:25 pm

21. Hey, I’ve got an iPod Touch 2nd Gen JALIBROKEN on 3.1.3, and I found Veency today. I installed it through Cydia, and downloaded UltraVNC for my Windows 7 Computer. I found the IP address, entered it in, accepted the request on my touch, but I can control my touch with my PC, but the touch screen on my PC won’t show up. It’s just black, even though I CAN STILL CONTROL my touch. WHAT SHALL I DO?

Comment by UnknownFridge — June 6, 2010 @ 9:32 pm

22. @unknownfridge

check your firewall

Comment by ananomous — August 9, 2010 @ 10:28 pm

23. help!!
    Unknown rectangle encoding 65535 -> exiting
    and i cant see the screen

Comment by peter fabinski — January 30, 2011 @ 12:46 am

24. Get 1000+ proxy list free a day! anonymous http proxy 117 socks45 proxy

Comment by Lean Finner — February 19, 2011 @ 10:02 am

25. Hey there. I just thought that I would quickly let you know about this sweet website. Check out Fiverr Clone.

Comment by Michael Wallace — December 3, 2011 @ 6:49 pm

26. Thanks for your article on the vacation industry. I’d personally also like to add that if you’re a senior taking into consideration traveling, it can be absolutely important to buy traveling insurance for senior citizens. When traveling, golden-agers are at high risk of experiencing a medical emergency. Having the right insurance policy package for one’s age group can look after your health and provide peace of mind.

Comment by Lakenya Mitsdarffer — May 16, 2012 @ 10:08 am

27. my iphone is connected through my system using usb ethernet Device , is there any port number specific on which veency is running ? direct ip address is not available and assigned to ethernet and not to iphone

Comment by mihir — July 3, 2012 @ 7:16 am

28. Nice weblog right here! Additionally your site lots up very fast! What web host are you using? Can I am getting your associate link for your host? I wish my site loaded up as fast as yours lol

Comment by Online kumar oyna — April 22, 2013 @ 9:47 am

29. wow nice share brotha

Comment by SOCKS5 — July 30, 2013 @ 8:28 am

30. Get the most effective working proxies. Check out our online site.

Comment by Googleable proxies - Full Access for Free — July 10, 2014 @ 8:53 am

31. Definitely consider that which you stated. Your favourite reason seemed to be on the
    internet the simplest thing to bear in mind of. I say to you, I certainly get irked at the same
    time as other folks consider concerns that they just do not
    realize about. You managed to hit the nail upon the top and also outlined out the entire thing without having side effect , other folks could take a signal.
    Will probably be again to get more. Thanks

Comment by best gaming headphones 2014 — December 16, 2014 @ 3:39 pm